Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Fever to start the week! Woot.

i was and am always fond of the B-sides tracks--- unreleased singles of the favorite bands and artists that are unseen by (almost unwanted) and unheard of by most of the average music fan. It's always a struggle of priority for these bands--- a tug-of-war of which to release; the more-commercially viable songs or the definitely more experimental and artistically satisfying to the critical ears and tastes but will be a major risk when released in the open market.

Rivermaya then was very different from the Rivermaya of today; i have to explain that to the new listeners--- most of them them new fans, either converted or newly acquired--- and re-explain it to the old school fans who knew the band on eye level only--- shallow opinions of an uneducated mind, which is rather understandable.

And oh, this maybe just a reactionary tale as close friends accused the band as the Philippines version of the foreign band Michael Learns to Rock, which outside the alcohol and diss-just-to-diss mission is lame, shallow and shallow plus lame. (If the discussion had more depth, they could have had more credibility but it's just it, it's a matter of taste and nobody wins in these kinds of discussions) Taste can never be altered but perception can be changed, you just hope some people have the capability of adjusting their way of thinking, especially since their way of thinking is absolutely naive and naively absolute.

Before i become accused of just being passionately defensive and before i become a diss-just-to-diss kind of person in discussions, i just thought of posting the "Fever" lyrics off Maya's album, Atomic Bomb (1997)

The title talks about my current state (which isn't known but that i feel very cold and very hot at the same time) and the entire song (lyrics and melody) just about sums up that the strength of anything (this case, a band's greatness) more than meets the eye (and your basic taste):
(*i believe the lyrics was a collaboration between Blanco and Mañalac.) And yes blast them all you want, i still have lots of B-sides to post anyway.
Fever
by Rivermaya


you're so good to me
a question
your intentions
you're so naive
ripe for the pluckin'
pretty to bleed
we look so good together
you seem so right for me
you promised me heaven
it seemed so right
a special today on roses
i'm so hot from dancing, dancing, dancing
got some tips from the butcher
a slab of shit
just like you
we look so good together
you seem so right for me
you promised me heaven
it seemed so right
like sun and fire
like dream and sleep
like a bird's flight
through a forest deep
two streams we die
in the open sea
like destiny
like destiny...
we look so good together (follow me, go follow me, go follow me)
(i'm dancing)
you seem so right for me (follow me, don't follow me)
(i'm dancing, i'm dancing)
you promised me heaven (follow me, don't follow me, don't follow me)
(i'm dancing)
you promised me heaven ( you promised me...)
heaven (home...)
heaven (home...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, been looking for the lyrics of this song..