Friday, August 21, 2009

Magical Farewell Tour Begins

Unlike the last time he joined the Clippers, this season and next FEELS LIKE Jason Williams' final FINAL tour of duty. It's meant to be the last. He's joining a team from his hometown and a real shot at the championship. Back-up or third-string, he doesn't care. And i don't care. Because finally he has a legit team to play for and me, a team to cheer for.

The man-who-shall-be-mentioned-in-this-blog-but-shall-never-be-named is going to cheer for the Boston Celtics. Christian for the Cleveland Cavaliers. (Enteng roots for Sammy Dalembert and the Philadelphia 76ers. Nyaknyak.) So this means this is going to be a very, very interesting year. Somebody's winning in June (If we our team manages to lose to the Lakers or Spurs is rather insignificant)...

Now, here's an article (and bolded are quotable quotes) from Jason's first interview as a member of the Orlando Magic from the Orlando Sentinel... and the video link to the presscon here:


Jason Williams: "I love to pass. Dwight Howard loves to score." posted by Tania Ganguli on Aug 20, 2009 4:55:19 PM We haven't heard much from Jason Williams since he returned from retirement this summer, and this morning he met with the media at RDV Sportsplex. You can read a little bit about his retirement and journey back in my story here. One thing we discussed with him was that flashy, hot-dog reputation he used to have. One of his assets now is that he's a veteran presence. And teams count on veteran guys for their experience and maturity.

Jason Williams mature? Could be.

"I don’t really pay attention to what you guys write in the papers, what people really think. You guys are going to write what you want and people are going to say what they want. I just want to go out and have fun and if throwing behind the back passes is what it takes to win that’s what I’m going to do it takes a regular bounce pass that’s what I’ll do too. I’m all about winning, now."

Williams was asked if he's matured. "I wouldn’t say matured because I’m still a kid at heart," Williams said. "I still do stupid things sometimes. When I’m out on the court I’m not worried about what people are thinking about my maturity level. I just want to win And as long as my teammates and coach knows that that's all that matters."

Williams was asked if the year off helped his body and if he'd be able to handle the load as a starter if Jameer Nelson got hurt again. "First of all, Jameer’s not going to get hurt," Williams said. "Secondly I signed a contract to do what they want me to do. If they want me to play 30 minutes I’ll do that. If they want me to play 10, I’ll do that. My body was feeling good before I took the year off. It just feels great now. Williams wasn't worried about having gotten a year older.

"I can be as good or better [than before retirement] because my teammates, look at those guys, how good they are. "I love to pass. Dwight Howard loves to score. He’s open he’s getting the ball and the rest will be easy. That’s kind of how it was when I went to Miami with Dwyane and Shaq. Those guys just make your job so much easier because there’s so much attention to them. You’re not going to worry about Jason Williams, you’re going to worry about Dwayne Wade. Cmon.

No comments: